Raising the BAR on Resumes

Sorry that I missed a week of blogging.  I had a hard drive failure on Monday of last week and have been scrambling ever since to get back up to speed.  Things seem to be OK now, so I’m back at it.

Members of my career mentoring site know that I read a variety of life and career success blogs in order to bring you the most interesting and up to date ideas in this blog.  This morning I came across a little gem about resumes on the Corn on the Job blog.  Check it out…

“If you apply to 20 jobs, you should have 20 different versions of your resume. Review each job description and make sure that every piece of information you share would impress someone looking to fill that specific job.”

This is so true.  In my day, you created the best resume you could, proofread it until you were confident it was perfect, then had 500 copies made on the nicest bond paper you could afford.  Those days are gone.  Today’s job seekers need to be tailored to the specific job for which you are applying.

That’s why I advise my clients to create a BAR (Big Ass Resume) to use as a source document.  A BAR captures everything you’ve ever done.  Most resumes you eventually send out will have about 75% of the same information – education, jobs dates, but it’s the other 25% that’s will help you land an interview.

You want use this 25% to highlight the things that you’ve done that make you an exceptional candidate for each specific job.  Some people tell me that this is too much work.  I tell them that if you’re not willing to put in the time and effort necessary to land the exact right job for you, you’re probably not going to be willing to put in the time and effort necessary to excel in a job once you’ve landed one.

When it comes to resumes customization is king.  Take the time to do it right and you’ll soon be landing interviews for your dream job.

Your career mentor,


PS: I write this blog to help people create the life and career success they want and deserve. Now I’m going one step further. I’ve created a membership site in which I’ve pulled together my best thoughts on success. And, as a reader of this blog, you can become a member for free. Just go to https://budbilanich.com/join to claim your free membership. You’ll be joining a vibrant and growing community of success minded professionals. I hope to see you there.


Print Friendly, PDF & Email

Speak Your Mind


This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.